The Legal team comprises of General Counsel, two Senior Legal Counsel, three Legal Counsel and a trainee solicitor. This department manages legal advice and support to the club.
The primary purpose of this role is to work pro-actively with internal clients and external stakeholders to review, draft, and negotiate commercial contracts and other forms of legal documentation. It will also involve advising the commercial team and other key stakeholders on legal and commercial risks associated with business operations, their potential impact and suggested mitigating actions.
- Support Senior Legal Counsel in the provision of legal advice to the commercial departments of the club
- Support the commercial team in drafting, reviewing and negotiating a broad range of contracts in connection with sponsorship, retail including licensing and merchandising, marketing, premium hospitality services, ticketing, travel and event management and media rights
- Provide advice to the wider legal team and the business on the club's IP strategy and manage the club's IP portfolio including trade mark filings and renewals
- Manage the club's brand protection programme including social media monitoring and Cease & Desist correspondence
- Assess counterfeit seizures and draft witness statements in support of local authority action
- Provide support to the ticketing team and liaise with external stakeholders including the local authority and the police on ticket touting, counterfeit tickets and unlicensed street trading
- Stay abreast of legal developments affecting the club and its clients, and incorporate this into the club's practices
- Manage external legal counsel and assist in managing external budget spend
- Represent the club's interests and liaise directly with clients, key regulatory bodies and other third parties interfacing with the club
- Develop and understand risk mitigation strategies for contractual risks
- Develop internal policies, guidelines, toolkits etc on a wide variety of legal and business issues and provide training to the business on compliance matters
- Ensure good governance within your area of responsibility including GDPR compliance
- Manage support aspects of the legal function such as a Contract Management System.
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by your line manager
- Fully qualified UK Solicitor or Barrister with demonstrable post qualification experience (5+ years PQE)
- Extensive experience in negotiating & drafting contracts
- Understanding of IP and management of a trade mark portfolio would be beneficial
- Proven ability to efficiently manage work projects and a large volume of work
- Experience working successfully with a wide variety of internal clients
- Can demonstrate gravitas, professional and personal credibility and builds strong business relationships
- Intellectually strong, able to think strategically, yet understands operational detail
- An excellent communicator both written and verbal
- Ability to work autonomously, confidence in decision making and ability to judge when input is needed from Senior Legal Counsel and/or General Counsel
- Excellent commercial acumen with a passion for delivering a high standard of work
- Ability to present alternatives and proposed solutions
- Diversity management/cultural awareness
- Strong time management, prioritization, and organisational skills
- Ability to apply judgment and broad commercial influence
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and be hardworking and flexible
- A passion or empathy with sport/sports entertainment and previous experience of the sports sector would be an advantage
Your normal basic week is 09:00 to 17:00 from Monday to Friday including one hour for lunch; a total of 40 hours per week.
Arsenal FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Closing Date: 22/01/2018