The Partnerships team forms part of the Commercial department at Arsenal, sitting alongside the retail, marketing, content, hospitality, ticketing & fan services, CRM and business strategy teams within Commercial.
The Partnerships team has dual objectives of both revenue generation (through the fees obtained in exchange for the rights granted to partners), and brand development (through our partners utilising their marketing rights to expose and develop Arsenal positively all over the world). Within the Partnerships team there are two main areas of focus - attracting and signing of commercial partners (Partnership Development Team), and also managing the relationships with our partners after signature to ensure both Arsenal and our partners maximise the return from our relationships (Partner Servicing Team).
The Partnerships teams works closely with all departments within Arsenal to formulate deals with appropriate rights during the process of securing our partners and also whilst working with our partners to utilise their rights
Arsenal is seeking to appoint a Partnership Development Manager who, reporting to the Head of Partnership Development and sitting alongside two other Partnership Development Managers, will have responsibility for the generation of revenues through the acquisition of commercial partners on both a regional and global basis.
This is a senior role within the Arsenal structure, and not a traditional 'sponsorship sales' role where funds are simply exchanged for camera facing exposure (LED signage etc.). The successful candidate will understand the business strategy of potential partners and the dynamics of the industry in which they operate, to structure and present a mutually beneficial partnership that will deliver against their strategy and deliver a business return.
Arsenal is seeking to secure deals that deliver on both revenue and brand objectives, Arsenal will be expecting its partners to positively expose and promote Arsenal and help build its fan base on an international basis.
- Lead the process of securing partners in specific geographical regions for the Club all the way to final signature. There will be significant responsibility devolved to the Partnership Development Manager, with support from the Head of Partnership Development and wider business as required.
This will include:
- Working with the team and Partnership Research Executives to develop target lists for agreed industries/geographies.
- Proactively contacting decision makers at different organisations, as well as research targeted industries and companies to understand industry dynamics and company strategies.
- Researching targeted industries and companies to understand industry dynamics and company strategies.
- Presenting the Club partnership opportunity to senior decision makers in targeted companies at Emirates Stadium and abroad.
- Develop bespoke partnership proposals to suit needs of individual companies. This will involve working together with various departments within the Club to structure a suitable proposal (e.g. Marketing, Ticketing, Hospitality Departments etc).
- Where appropriate host potential partners at Club matches to bring alive the Matchday opportunity.
- Close partnership deals including negotiation of commercial terms and working alongside the Legal team taking the commercial lead to negotiate and conclude full form agreements.
- Ensuring smooth handover of relationship to the Partner Services area of the team to manage the ongoing relationship.
- Participate in the strategy setting of the Partnerships team including identification of categories and geographies to target.
Match/Event responsibilities and organisation:
- Hosting potential partners as required.
- Attend relevant industry events in the UK and abroad.
Main Job Requirements and Person Specification
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, ideally in Sport and or Business Development.
- Proactively contacting senior decision makers where existing relationships may not be held.
- Leading or playing a major part in formulating, presenting, negotiating and closing high value business to business partnership deals.
- Working with contracts and negotiating commercial terms with legal support.
- Track record of exceptional achievement in industry leading organisations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal, ability to quickly build trust and relationships.
- Excellent presentational skills and ability to persuade and influence audience with credible business content.
- Intellectually strong with commercial acumen, able to think strategically, yet understands operational detail.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Team player who will put team success over individual success.
- Passionate about delivering revenue objectives and thrives when creating new business development opportunities.
- Natural gravitas with strong professional ethos and personal credibility.
- A passion or empathy with sport/sports entertainment.
- International sales experience and working cross-culturally would be an advantage.
- An understanding of brand dynamics and consumer trends would be a distinct advantage.
- Ability to speak other languages would be an advantage.
- Sport/Sponsorship experience is not essential but desirable.
Hours of Work
Your normal basic week is 09:00 to 17:00 from Monday to Friday including one hour for lunch; a total of 40 hours per week. International travel as required. Matchday working as required.
Please note this position will be a fixed term contract up to 12 months to provide maternity cover for an existing Partnership Development Manager.
Arsenal FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Closing Date: 22/01/2018