Role Title: Arsenal Gap Year Volunteer Coach
Location: Arsenal Hub and Worldwide
Arsenal in the Community is dedicated to improving the lives of our local community through the delivery of various programmes across sports, education, health and social inclusion. These programmes embrace a wide variety of community involvement and they are delivered and received with the same energy and commitment today as when they started over 30 years ago.
Through the Arsenal Gap Year Programme, volunteers are given the opportunity for a truly unique experience gaining key employability and life skills whilst representing the Club in London and around the world. The basis of the programme follows this structure:
Stage 1 is based in London, at the Arsenal Hub, and lasts 5 months. This stage provides training and development opportunities for our 'Gappers' including coaching qualifications, First Aid, Safeguarding and TEFL courses. 'Gappers' are then placed within PE departments in local schools to build up their coaching experience.
Stage 2 gives our 'Gappers' the opportunity to travel abroad to coach at one of our community programmes around the world for a period of up to 4 months. 'Gappers' also have the choice to remain in London if they do not wish to travel abroad.
Stage 3 provides the chance for a second placement abroad or continuation in London.
Successful applicants onto the programme would need to be aged 18+ at the start of the programme. This is a development programme - a successful applicant will have a willingness to learn and a desire to improve leadership skills in order to gain most from the experience.
- Assist with the planning and delivery of first-class coaching at designated projects using the Arsenal in the Community philosophies and training methods.
- Support the Session Lead of the group you are allocated to, ensuring all appropriate policies and procedures from the Club or those of any host organisation are adhered to.
- Liaise with teachers and parents/guardians in a professional manner, directing questions to an appropriate person of authority at Arsenal in the Community and/or any host organisation.
- Assist with the delivery of curriculum time PE sessions in school placement.
- Lead extra-curricular football sessions at school placement.
- Liaise with PE staff with regards to all aspects of school placement.
- Ensuring the venue and equipment are left in good order.
- Completing and submitting any necessary documentation following a session or event, including registers and the recording of incidents or information that Arsenal in the Community and/or the host organisation should be made aware of.
- Ensure the health and safety of all sessions.
- Attend and be prepared to participate in the required Coach Education training sessions and Development Reviews with the Project Coordinator(s) when requested.
- Ensure all documentation is provided in a timely manner for enrolment onto the programme, as well as for all UK and overseas placements, courses or other needs as requested by the Project Coordinator(s).
- Complete any additional tasks set by the Project Coordinator(s).
- Support other Arsenal in the Community projects where appropriate.
- The Arsenal Gap Year Programme is open to everyone from school leavers to those wanting a career break.
- Some experience of community/youth focused projects.
- Some experience of volunteering and/or working with children and youth.
- Interest in coaching children and youth of all abilities of various ages.
- Knowledge of the Arsenal in the Community methods and philosophies and Club Vision and Values (training to be provided).
- Good organisational skills.
- Good communication skills with adults and children.
- Ability to respond to unforeseen challenges/ issues effectively, with a calm and considered approach.
- Committed and 'can-do' attitude.
- Flexible approach to work within a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work within a team and take responsibility as an individual.
- Good literacy and numeracy skills.
- Language skills are an advantage.
Arsenal FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Please note, this is a voluntary role and you have until 23:59pm on 20.03.18 to apply for this vacancy.
Closing Date: 20/04/2018