The aim of Arsenal Football Academy is to centre each boy's progression as a footballer by providing a World Leading Youth Development programme. The programme promotes the development of genuinely elite training environments to consistently outperform international competition. By placing players at the heart of the programme the aim is to develop and grow future premier league players in an environment which is challenging, developmental and inspirational.
The Medical Team are a key part of the Academy and is supported by a fully integrated team of medical personnel including doctor, physiotherapists, sports science and strength & conditioning staff.
To lead and manage the academy medical service team across both London Colney and Hale End training centres looking after the medical welfare of all Academy players.
To manage, liaise closely with, and work alongside, the Academy doctor and full time Academy physiotherapists in providing treatment and rehabilitation programmes for injured players.
Implementation of injury prevention strategies and medical screening for the Academy players and contribute to the on-going development of this process in conjunction with the Head of Sports Science and Athletic Development.
To manage the part time medical staff to ensure the correct level of medical cover is in place for all Academy matches and training in accordance with published guidelines.
To liaise closely with the other members of the Academy staff and medical team in relation to player injuries and medical welfare.
To contribute to and attend the existing internal CPD programme, which is scheduled at suitable times throughout the season.
- Pitch side medical cover for all U23 and UEFA Youth League fixtures.
- To ensure that the appropriate level of medical cover is arranged and provided at all Academy matches with regards to doctors, paramedics and ambulance cover in accordance with the FA, Premier League regulations and/or EPPP guidelines.
- To ensure that all Academy medical personnel have the appropriate emergency medical training in accordance with FA, Premier League and EPPP guidelines.
- To ensure that all other Academy coaching staff have the appropriate first-aid training in accordance with FA, Premier League and EPPP guidelines.
- To oversee and ensure that the emergency medical equipment is checked and maintained at all Academy venues.
- To deliver an expert level of assessment treatment, rehabilitation and medical management of all fit and injured Academy players.
- To lead, design, implement, analyse and report on the Academy physical screening programme.
- To devise a comprehensive and clinically reasoned injury prevention programme and strategy for all Academy players.
- To ensure the Arsenal Athletic Development Pathway is implemented to the best of their abilities.
- To maintain discipline as set out in the Arsenal Football Club Code of Conduct (Players, Parents and Coaches).
- To maintain comprehensive medical records on the Academy computerised medical database in accordance with Premier League, CSP and HCPC requirements
- Demonstrate and produce detailed and expert level of clinical notes for all fit and injured players at the Academy.
- Demonstrate and maintain expert level of communication skills with all key stake holders that are involved in the care of all the Academy players.
- To attend external clinics, consultant appointments, surgery and any other appointments that are deemed relevant to ensure an expert level of care and rehabilitation of the Academy player.
- To attend tours / tournaments within the UK and Internationally to provide pitch side cover and physiotherapy cover throughout the duration of the tour / tournaments.
- To lead, devise, record, plan, implement, report and review of the audit of all injuries and illnesses occurring throughout the academy to inform injury prevention and maintain the welfare of all Academy players.
- To maintain and adhere to Arsenal Football Club's Child Protection, Health, Safety and Equal Opportunity procedures.
- To adhere to a strict code of confidentiality in respect of any information relating to Arsenal Football Club and its operation.
Treatment and Rehabilitation:
- To deliver an expert level of manual handling skills for all fit and injured players at the Academy.
- To consult with players to gather information about general health and injury.
- Collect and analyse data to identify cause of injury.
- Contribute to strategies for the prevention and reduction of injury.
- To diagnose and treat the injured players.
- To provide physiotherapy input to improve the fit players and minimise their time lost due to injury.
- Devise and manage rehabilitation/treatment plans.
- Produce up-to-date high quality physiotherapy medical notes onto the Academy computerised database.
- Evaluate effectiveness of rehabilitation/treatment programmes.
- To work with other members of the Medical team to provide a holistic approach to the treatment and prevention of injury.
- To lead, plan and implement the internal CPD programme for Academy medical and physiotherapy staff.
- To manage and review the external CPD programme for all full time medical and physiotherapy staff.
- To maintain continuous professional development (CPD) through the comprehensive internal CPD programme and any other relevant external CPD courses.
Loans and International Players:
- Responsibility for communication and paperwork relating to medical issues for all academy players in the professional development phase (16-23) on loan to other clubs.
- Responsibility for communication and paperwork relating to medical issues for academy players in the professional development phase (16-23) who are called up to International duty.
- To lead and present on player / parent workshops throughout all Academy age groups.
- To ensure that the appropriate medical cover and medical indemnity forms are completed for any player undergoing a trial within the Academy, prior to their first training session with the squad.
- To organise cardiac screening of the 1st year scholars and any new academy signings prior to their first training session (or as soon as reasonable practical), and forward all relevant paperwork to the FA in accordance with the FA, Premier League and EPPP guidelines.
- To liaise with the Academy doctor and full time academy physiotherapists to ensure the provision of a comprehensive pre-season medical screen for all academy players.
- The undertaking of pre-signing medicals for Academy players, where applicable, in collaboration with the Academy doctor.
- Regular communication with the Head of Sports Science & Athletic Development with regards to current injuries and strategies to minimise risk of injury.
- To liaise and work closely with 1st team physiotherapy and medical staff on the physical status of senior Academy players that train with the 1st team squad.
- Ensuring weekly injury update reports are sent to the Academy Manager, coaching staff and medical team detailing all of the current injuries involving any player in the Academy.
- Collation of injury statistics and production of a written injury audits for distribution to the Academy Manager, Head of Sports Science and Athletic Development, coaching staff and medical team.
MAIN JOB REQUIREMENTS AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
- A BSc or MSc degree level qualification in Physiotherapy.
- A post-graduate degree qualification in the relevant field of sports medicine and performance field desirable.
- MCSP and HCPC Registered.
- A successful and verifiable record in assessing, treating and rehabilitating injuries of youth athletes aged 8 to 16 years.
- A successful and verifiable record of enhancing the physical development of young players aged 8 to 16 years.
- An extensive and up to date CPD portfolio.
- A valid driving licence.
- A valid passport.
- Experience of working full time with elite level athletes.
- Experience of treating sporting injuries within elite athletes.
- Experience of working full time in a high performance team environment.
- Possess an expert level of manual handling and clinical reasoning when assessing and treating injured Academy players.
- In-depth knowledge of typical pathologies that can present with the injured adolescent athlete and the application in managing this to ensure a safe and effective return to full competition.
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of all phases of the Elite Player Performance Pathway (EPPP)
- Experience and in-depth knowledge on screening, monitoring, assessing, treating and rehabilitating youth athletes.
- In-depth knowledge of Long Term Athletic Development.
- Ability to time manage and enhance the professionalism of the part time physiotherapists working at Hale End.
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) with the multidiscipline team and key stake holders involved in the care of the Academy player.
- To be proactive and versatile in their approach in achieving successful outcomes.
- The ability to manage resources and information particularly medical records.
- A willingness to work flexibly and show a proactive approach within agreed boundaries.
- Understanding of Health and Safety and its application to a sporting environment.
- Energy and enthusiasm, with the ability to enthuse and inspire youth athletes.
- Excellent role model for players.
- Evidence of sound administrative, organisational and prioritisation skills.
- To be responsible for own continuous professional development.
- Experience of working collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
- The successful applicant will be required to complete a self-declaration and an enhanced disclosure check. It is a requirement of the role that this applicant needs a clear criminal records check.
- The successful applicant will be required to attend The FA Safeguarding Children in Football Workshop and other appropriate CPD events.
The type of Person / Lead Physiotherapist we are looking for:
We are looking for a physiotherapist who has a growth mind-set and is driven and reflective in their personal and professional development. They possess caring and emphatic traits, which inspires and motivates others. They should have a keen and enthusiastic interest in the elite youth athlete and his / her long term development. They possess leadership qualities that can work effectively within a team and independently.
They are a critical thinker who is strongly motivated for continuous improvement. They are able to cope with pressure and be willing to take responsibility for their own and others development. As a department we strive to be positive, supportive, confident and well-mannered in our approach that is underpinned by the Arsenal values.
Arsenal FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment
Closing Date: 20/07/2018